Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Walking Retreat - Day 2


The power of silence
Monday May 17, 2010

Since we’ve been traveling we’re pretty cut off from work and life at home – no phones, limited e-mail access, too far away to fix any problems at work, etc. The result is that we have plenty of time to just be ourselves and recharge. On this trip I took the opportunity to simply enjoy the silence and focus on being present in the moment.

Too often it seems that I spend so much time worrying about insignificant details that I miss the greater beauty of the experience. I’ve spent entire trips fretting over “camera” or “journaling” issues concerned with remembering/recollecting/or sharing the trip that I’ve missed out on experiencing the trip in the first place.

This time around I didn’t take one picture. I did write a bit, but at my leisure, not at the expense of being present in the moment. I spent more time that I can currently recollect just sitting on the patio with a glass of water or bottle of beer. No book, no conversation, not particularly watching anything, not particularly thinking about anything, just enjoying the day.

At one point Greg asked me if I was ok (presumably because I was so quiet).
Yes, it's the quite that I've been seeking.
The challenge will be returning to the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment