Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Real CMA - Country Music Anonymous

Bless me Father, for I have sinned... I listen to country music.


The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. I have a problem. I listen to country music. This is difficult for me to admit because until recently I have never cared for country music. In fact, until about two years ago, I actively mocked anyone who liked country.

Growing up, music was very important to our family. My parents both listened to a variety of music from classic rock to James Taylor; the Beach Boys to classical; BB King to the Irish Rovers and everything in between. Everything, that is, except country. We called country, “deet-deet” music, because we had absolutely no use for it. Catchy lyrics like, “I lost my dawg, mah truck broke down, m’girlfriend runned away… deet… deet… deet…” sum up my entire understanding of country during the first 21 years of my life.

But, even then I made exceptions to the rule with Southern Rock. Lynard Skynard, Charlie Daniels, and certain jams by Mr. Hank Williams, Jr. were acceptable forms of music because I felt that they were more rock n roll that country. In 2003 I moved to Charleston, South Carolina and found myself steeped an eclectic musical setting where blues, bluegrass, country, rock, and punk all blended together. I liked it.

Then I met Katie. Katie loves music, but is a particular fan of country and the more time I spent with her, the more country music I listened to. And while it was because of Katie that I happened to be around country music – I have actually learned to like some of the artists quite a bit. Brad Paisley, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, The Zac Brown Band… are all great song writers with a good sound – influenced by rock, country, blues, jazz, reggae, etc.

(I still think that older country from the 70s, 80s, and 90s is twangy and not for me, but the more contemporary stuff is good.)

So here I am. I like country music. And I’m not ashamed anymore. Pre-set button #5 in my car is set to a country station; I have four country radio stations saved on Pandora.com; and last week I purchased my first country music CD (Zac Brown Band’s “Foundation”).

My name is Nick, and I like country music.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Something similar happened to me when I started dating Jackie. Though I don't listen to country very much, it is included on my pre-set stations in my car, and I do enjoy it from time to time.

    Its great to see you try a blog for some writing. Hope you keep up with it and find it worthwhile. I'll be reading. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog-o-sphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog-o-sphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its okay, this too shall pass! Actually I get what you are saying. My country music fandom has been through its ups and downs. I liked it a lot in middle school, then totally fell away from it and now I have my select artists I enjoy. I agree the really old stuff is too twangy for me and falls into the category of the lost dog, broken truck, absent girlfriend type of stuff. My personal favs are of course Kenny and I love Rascal Flatts. And there is always a place in my heart for Tim McGraw and Garth. Strangley I really don't enjoy many female country artists. I guess I'm just a sucker for a cowboy hat and tight jeans!

    ReplyDelete