Thursday, July 9, 2009

In a Facebook Minute

In a Facebook minute…oooEEEooo…your friends’ status can change.
In a Facebook minute…oooEEEooo…things can get pretty strange.

Besides being lovingly ripped off from the musical genius of Mr. Don Henley and The Eagles, these lines sum up some of my general thoughts about the pervasive nature of Facebook.

Like nearly every 16 to 30-year-old with computer access I am a mild Facebook addict. When I log on to the internet I open 3 pages in my web browser – Pandora.com, hotmail.com, and Facebook.com – to get music going, quickly check e-mails, and status updates before settling into any other task. Total average time to log-on, peruse e-mails & status updates, and move on: 4.2 minutes. Over the past two years this has become so ingrained in my routine that it has become and habit. And this happens at least six times a day.

Here’s an interesting experiment, change your status or profile to include something ridiculous and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I have gone weeks without so much as a ‘Facebook poke,’ but if my status update is catchy, alarming, or dramatic in any way my wall is flooded with comments, reassurances that my friends ‘like this,’ and the like. So while I have not heard from my friends for weeks at a time, I know that they are keeping tabs on me, or to borrow the popular term, they are Facebook stalking.

But this is what we have come to. As Americans we cram as much into our waking hours as we possibly can, often at the expense of our own mental down time. Rather than call a friend in the evening to catch-up, we’d rather cruise their blog, facebook status, or twitter and check in on them. It’s faster, quicker, and an interaction on our terms. If a friend sends out a Facebook distress call, we can answer. But if we are already busy and there is no immediate emergency we can go on about our business confident in the knowledge that we’re a good friend because we know what’s going on.

I am just as guilty of this as anyone else, so how do we stop it? The simplest answer is to just make time to actually reach out to people. Call your friend on the phone, arrange to meet up for dinner, or to watch a minor league baseball game, do something, don’t just think about doing something.

The irony of posting this online has not been lost on me. I enjoy Facebook, and reading my friends blogs. I understand that faced with the option of not keeping in touch or keeping in e-touch – Facebook is great. But social networking and electronic communication cannot completely replace actual real human interaction, because when it does we are all in for a rude awakening.

So, you keep writing and reading, and I’ll keep writing and reading – then maybe once in awhile we can call or meet up.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. This "problem," or rather "issue" with online communication has often been on my mind in the last few months. My routine is very similar to yours, email, twitter, Google Reader, and Facebook are my must stops whenever I get on the computer.

    And I wholeheartedly agree that we cannot ever lose personal face to face interaction, and that it must be strived for...but as you know, without utilizing the online communication tools, one can often forsake friends simply because they are not close. But my experience, particularly with my family, is that the use of online tools to supplement a relationship would be a great tool.

    For example, if I meet up with or have a phone call with you or Justin or Todd after reading twitter updates and blogs, etc., I can extend that conversation, I can get deeper into the conversation about what's going on, because I am already aware of some of the background. Often times with my family, because I don't have that for them, and they don't follow my online stuff, our phone calls are exhausting. You are covering so much stuff, without really covering anything, because so much time is spent on things that would qualify as "status updates." After 30 minutes of that, life beckons us to other activities off the phone.

    And now I've rambled on too long, but my personal experience has shown me that these tools can be an excellent supplement to the communication that takes place between friends and families, and can enhance those relationships if used appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree old buddy. Electronic communication and social networking are useful tools as part of a larger understanding of relationships--I just worry that sometimes they replace the other compoents of that equation.

    I also agree that the online stuff can help you get right to the meat of issues, conversations, etc., especially as we don't see the people we are closest too on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete