Thursday, November 6, 2014

Confessions of an English Major – Re-Reading

I have stacks of books (not yet on shelves) that I have not read - yet.  A further list of some 150 titles lives on my phone in a file called “Books to Read,” and I periodically plunk away at the 100 Best Novels listing published by the Modern Library.   One might argue that I have no business re-reading any books.

I just can’t help it. 

Some books are as comforting as old friends or coming home after a long trip.  Familiar and reassuring, their pages turn with the easy knowledge that this story will turn out ok.  As bibliophiles we sometimes become very invested in the books we read often sharing the pain, frustration and anxiety of characters – or feeling it in their absence as the omniscient reader.  Reading new titles can be tiring.

A big part of what and why we read is left to personal preference, which I celebrate. And here is my general philosophy regarding the practice of re-reading. 

Sometimes I re-read to suss out deeper layers of meaning in a complicated plot line.  Often I return to a much-loved title break up other more strenuous reading.  Some books I read seasonally (LAMB, at least in part during Lent for the last several years).  Other books are just never far from my mind.  I think there are three or four print copies (not to mention two film copies) of The Hobbit at my house including one that rides around in my briefcase.  This last, in case there are a few moments to kill and I have nothing to read. (Yes, this is a concern in my life.) 

Mostly, I just like to re-read books that make me feel something. 

Why do you re-read?  


Here are some of my favorite re-reads:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Chronicles of the Shadow War by Chris Claremont & George Lucas
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
On Writing by Stephen King

Recent titles I’m adding to the list:
Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbrathe (aka J.K. Rowling)
Ghost Soldier’s by Hampton Sides
Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides



No comments:

Post a Comment