Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Olympic Fever: 2012

The 30th Olympiad is well underway and I must confess, I’m hooked.  Over the past year I can count the number of times I’ve watched TV after work, and it isn’t that many.  But this week every evening has been ended with rebroadcasted viewings of swimming, gymnastics, and other highlights.

Missy Franklin winning gold, Michael Phelps setting a new record for most decorated Olympian, and hopefully a stellar performance from Morgan Ucney in the 1500m later this week – now that’s reality television. 

I’m not an avid sports fanatic, but when it comes to the Olympics I’m hooked.  There is something magical and pure about these athletes competing for the honor of their country. In a way Olympic teams are the non-profits of the athletic world – which has some appeal to me.  Sure it probably doesn’t hurt their careers to be Olympians, but this contest seems to avoid the showboating seen in the “televised league” sports.  (Please note, that I specifically choose not to call the show-boaters “professionals” for a reason.)

Regardless of the outcomes, watching the Olympics has the power to make one believe that it’s possible to be just a little bit better.  It's not logical, but logic can sometimes get in the way.  Our logic is often limited by our own limited experience so growth often requires some elements of belief.  
"If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."  Ray Bradbury

I’m not usually a fan of Nike, but their video campaign hits the nail on the head with this one.  The kid in this video (whom I can identify and sympathize with) is working hard.  He's working against logic, and what's easy.  He's working on faith, determination, and the belief that he can be more than he is.  He's digging deep and finding his own greatness.

When was the last time you felt that watching LeBron James?

Olympic 2012 Big Kid Running Video:

1 comment:

  1. I loved that video when I saw it last night. As much of a big sports nut as I can be at times, I agree with you...the Olympics seem to inspire that sense of greatness in a way that most non-Olympic sporting events fail to do.

    ReplyDelete