Friday, June 29, 2012

Wha'cha Readin'?


The other day I ate lunch at an odd time, and ended up sitting with a co-worker whom I had never shared a meal with before.  Following the unwritten rule of Library socialization, my co-worker started the conversation by asking, “So, what kind of things do you read.” 

I love working in an environment where it’s just assumed that everyone is reading something. 

No matter how a person answers the above question, the power of reading never ceases to amaze me.  Whether a person reads for entertainment, enrichment, formal education, to escape or simply to pass the time, there are tremendous benefits gained.  Reflecting on my own childhood, experiences with my younger siblings, godchildren, and various adopted-nieces and nephews – the value of reading seems to become a fundamental to our development.

I am reminded of two of my favorite Einstein quotes:

“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

Which leads to this natural conclusion.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge.”

By reading we enter a world where we are able to push the boundaries of our experience.  In books (digital or print) we find knowledge, wisdom, and perspective.  There is danger there too, and risk.  But that's part of life.  Part of growing up.

I guess, this image says it all…


2 comments:

  1. At the moment, I'm reading the "TOA TE CHING" and a Janet Evonovich Novel which shall remain nameless, with "The Jungle" on deck.

    What about you?

    ReplyDelete