Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ylvis, Eat Your Heart Out: I know what the fox says..."Marshmallow" of course

There were many memorable moments from Christmas 2013 and New Years 2014, but there are two moments that warrant sharing here.   

On December 25th I was loading the car when Kate pointed out that there was a fox walking across the  ice on the pond behind her house.  We watched (along with the cat) as a male and female fox ran and played on the ice.  After a while we heard the male bark, three short barks.  After a second burst, I answered him as best I could.  To our great surprise he stopped and edged closer to the yard.  

Fox watching from the edge of the pond at the edge of the yard as I answered his bark.
The vixen was much more shy and contented herself with running back and forth across the pond.  She did, however, stop to listen as I was calling just not for long.

Vixen pausing to listen as I called her in.

Vixen running across the frozen pond.

The second moment that I will never forget happened on New Year's Day.  I went to Mass with Kate and her girls (T who is 8 and G who is 5) and after Communion I knelt to pray.  A few seconds in a little chin perched on my arm and when I opened my eyes G's face was very close to mine.  She leaned in and asked in a whisper/shout reserved for kindergardeners and stage actors, "Nicky, are you thinking about marshmallows too!"

I burst out laughing.  Where do kids come up with this stuff.  I love it.  It was almost as funny as the time I accidentally killed SugarCookie the Elf on a Shelf, but that's a story for another post.

So, 2013 ended well and 2014 is off to a good start.  Here's to the little moments in life that remind us what's really important.





Since I'm on a fox theme here's a video of a jumping fox.




No comments:

Post a Comment